I learned quite a bit from these films, my books and the childbirth class. First, the c-section rate in this country has and continues to skyrocket. (Remember my main motivation for doing all of this was to avoid a c-section, if at all possible.) Also, women who want to have a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) are being told no more and more often. For the most part, it's not because it isn't possible. Plenty of women have very successful VBAC's. Many doctors don't want to take the risk and it is much easier/convenient for everyone (or so we're told) to just keep having c-sections.
Now, I realize there are definitely situations that arise where a c-section is absolutely necessary. And thank God we have medical advancements that allow doctors to save us and our babies! However, we've become a culture of convenience, including childbirth. You pick the date you want your baby born and you've got it.
Personally, I believe God designed our bodies to go into labor when the baby is ready. Not when the doctor thinks the baby is ready. (God really tested me with baby #4!) Of course there are exceptions. Our bodies do not always function the way God intended. But, we've become a society that has made it the rule.
Personally, I believe God designed our bodies to go into labor when the baby is ready. Not when the doctor thinks the baby is ready. (God really tested me with baby #4!) Of course there are exceptions. Our bodies do not always function the way God intended. But, we've become a society that has made it the rule.
The second bit of information I learned from the films and books was how Pitocin and Cytotec work. Pitocin is a synthetic drug given via IV to induce labor and/or get contractions regulated. The contractions are much stronger than normal contractions and cause added stress to the baby. This is another reason why a lot births end up in an emergency c-section.
Cytotec, also known as Misoprostol, is another drug used to induce labor. It is much less expensive than Pitocin and works better to induce labor because it also causes the cervix to thin out. Sometimes the two drugs are used together if the cervix hasn't changed. Cytotec is in a pill form so it is given by being inserted vaginally.
What I didn't know is that Cytotec is NOT approved for labor induction. Its intended use is for the prevention of ulcers. The manufacturer warns that it should not be used on pregnant women because it could induce labor. Since it is a less expensive drug, physicians started using Cytotec "off label" to induce labor.
The result? Women and babies have died because Cytotec can cause uterine ruptures and a doubled risk of amniotic fluid embolism. Because it is being used "off label" and is in a pill form, the physicians guess the dosage. Generally, the dose is half a pill. The manufacturer wrote a letter to warn against this "off label" use, but The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists doesn't think there is enough evidence to support discontinuing its use for labor induction.
If you've read the birth story of baby #2, then you know I was given Cytotec because my contractions slowed down after I received an epidural. Nobody told me the risks of this drug. I trusted my doctor to do what was best for me and my baby. 7 years later, I chose to take control of my childbirth experience and learned a lot more than I thought I would.
Ladies, we've given up our power. We're not very educated about one of the most important decisions of our lives. We go along with whatever our doctor suggests because they know best, right? I would encourage you to do some research and find a doctor or midwife who is willing to listen to you and help you experience the best childbirth possible.
Childbirth was intended to be an amazing, miraculous experience. Instead it's filled with horror stories. The end result is a precious baby. I wanted to experience an amazing childbirth in the process too...and let me tell you, it was truly amazing and rewarding! I will be sharing his birth story soon!
Childbirth was intended to be an amazing, miraculous experience. Instead it's filled with horror stories. The end result is a precious baby. I wanted to experience an amazing childbirth in the process too...and let me tell you, it was truly amazing and rewarding! I will be sharing his birth story soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment